Black flashes in video

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM
I'm having some playback issues using the MediaKit. I am playing back files that use a filter to play. They play back fine in WMP and using the MediaElement. I was having an issue with the MediaElement, where the files took forever to start playing, and on some PC's never did. For this reason I researched alternatives and found the WPF MediaKit.

When I implemented the kit it seemed to work much better. The files now load instantly with no initial problems. The problem starts after a few seconds. I start to get black flashes on the screen. It only happens with some files and seems to be related to the file. I just cant figure out what the difference is, all the files are coming from the same place.

I tried switching to EVR and the black flashes go away but in their place I get jumpiness. It seems to jump back a frame or two instead of flashing black.

Not saying its the MediaKit fault, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Its just a little weird that its only some files and they play fine in WMP.
Oct 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM
So I have some more insight. The files that are causing the issue are Half D1 and the filter re-sizes each frame. It could be that it cant keep up and is loosing frames or something. Is it possible that WMP just handles missing frames better? Is there anything I could modify to get the MediaKit to not show a black frame?
Oct 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Are you by any chance running the program with the debugger active?

I get major video corruption (mostly black frames) when doing so.

If not, try a different codec. Uninstall any 'codec packs' you may have installed and install just FFDShow.