How to use this library with TV tuner?

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Thanks for great kit. I would like to se an example of using this to change Channel with Tv Tuner. Thanks,
Feb 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM
I'd also like some advice on the subject. I'm assuming a tv tuner cannot be too much different from say a webcam, but I'm pretty green on the subject. Is mediakit the best starting point, or should I focus more on the VRE?
Sep 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM

I'm doing TV tuning as well.

I've investigated the SourceForge library that wraps all DX interfaces and got their samples up and running that show which filters to use to tune both digital and analog signals.

However I'm not seeing any documentation to this component although I am sure the answer lies with this control.

JM, can you please address this issue?

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:30 AM
I would start by looking at VideoCapture Element/Player classes as an
example. You essentially just need to create the graph making sure
you use the method to create the video renderer so your video will
render to wpf. Then just run the SetupGraph method and you are good
to go.

So in short, creating this control should be a simple subclass
operation.
>
Sep 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM

Ok thanks.

For some reason I thought the controls had been written in a way that I could use them "as is" and supply parts of the graph.
But after diving into the code I realised I would probably have to alter whats there (or subclass) and you've confirmed that with your last statement.

Do you think I'll need to use your wrappers or can I use those from DirectShowLib-2005.dll  ?
Theirs seem more complete and a large set have been tested with supporting hardware.

Cheers

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:09 AM
The interop in there is DirectShowLib, so I don't know how its more complete.

You do sort of just pass it a graph, as is, but subclassing was needed as each player you make will have different options, such changing tuner channels, seeking, opening video files, etc.  You create a subclass from MediaPlayerBase/MediaElementBase (or MediaSeeking if you player needs to support seeking) and use the protected/overriden methods to plugin your graph in.  If you already have a class to play the tv tuner,  you will be looking at a copy/paste situation, maybe ripping out stuff that already is taken care for you in the base classes.
Sep 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Ah sorry. I didn't see the DLL so assumed you were wrapping it yourself. But I just spotted the license referal back to DirectShowLib

Thanks. If I get stuck I'll post again.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:36 AM
Yeah I added it in there for convenience.   The D3D interop I wrote is incomplete as I only wanted to implement stuff that I explicitly needed.  I just didn't want to people to have a 1/2 dozen libraries to reference to just use this :).

Yeah let me know if you need any help.  I'm working a bug fix release at the moment.  Hopefully it'll be done by next week.  I don't believe there will be any (or many) breaking changes.  But one thing I just found out is use FilterGraphNoThread vs the plain old FilterGraph.  The WPF Dispatcher I use already has a message pump, so using FilterGraphNoThread fixes many issues.

-Jer
Sep 23, 2009 at 4:43 AM

We're building a WPF app that includes digital and analog tuning using DirectShow. We need the surface to be responsive; most activeX embedding prevents that (eg. can't click on teh video and get mouse events). That's why we're looing at your controls. I'm new to DirectShow and there is a learning curve there that is making it difficult for me to adopt your control as well so likely I'll be posting alot over the next day or so until I nail this tuner.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:12 AM
Feel free to contact me directly at jeremiah.morrill@gmail.com if you need any dshow pointers.

On Sep 22, 2009, at 8:43 PM, snagy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

We're building a WPF app that includes digital and analog tuning using DirectShow. We need the surface to be responsive; most activeX embedding prevents that (eg. can't click on teh video and get mouse events). That's why we're looing at your controls. I'm new to DirectShow and there is a learning curve there that is making it difficult for me to adopt your control as well so likely I'll be posting alot over the next day or so until I nail this tuner.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Hi All,

First of all would like to say WPFMediakit is really wonderfull tool for any kind of video integration.

Let me give some background we are trying to integrate TV Tuner card along with WPFMediakit. We are using External USB TV tuner box (GADMEI UTV302E)/

Objective of our project is as below.

1: We have WPF Form on which we have placed <Controls:VideoCaptureElement on this form

2: User should be able to Scan TV Tuner channels and save frequencies found

3: User should be able to change the channels from list of saved channels at point 2.

4: User should be able to control the volume

Our application is able to detect attached TV tuner card as "USB TV Device".

Problems we are facing

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1: We are not sure how do we scan frequency for above attached USB TV device.

2: We are not sure how to set specific frequency for VideoCaptureElement so that it tunes to that.

3: We are not able to get sound of channel that is currently set.

If somebody can provide us some sample code and pointers towards solving above listed problem it would be really great help. Request you all to help as this project is on critical path and its very urgent.

Regards

navneet singh