choppy video playback

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

hI Jer

I am developing a background music system that plays up to 4 different video clips using 2 dual head video cards. I have an I5-750 2.66GHz with 4GB Mem ( 2.96 Useable ) , The video cards are NVidia GForce 8400 GS. The system is brand new and is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The problem I am experiencing is that the video is choppy or stuttering almost like its dropping frames or something. Occasionally I will also get tearing.

I am only running 3 zones on monitors 2,3,4 with zone 1 on monitor2 and so on... The same effect happens if i scale it down and only run 1 zone on monitor 2. As a side note I have each zone running in its own app and therefore its own UI thread, and the CPU for each zone averages anywhere between 10-17%

I have tried both DivX and Mpeg with the same result. I have FDShow installed and have tried setting the merit fron 'do not use' to 'very high'

Please help.

David

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Hi David,

Is the DWM running?  The quickest way to tell is press "[windows key] + tab" and if you see the Flip3D, the DWM is on.  The DWM guards against video tearing.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM

yes ... verified that DWM is running. the tearing is not so much of the issues as the stuttering.