Installation on XP, Vista and Windows 7

May 25, 2010 at 9:27 PM
Edited May 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hi Jeremiah,

What is the minimum version of Direct3D required to run the WPFMediaKit?
I see that Direct3D11 doesnt require installation on Windows 7, does require installation on Vista but cannot be installed on XP at all.
My goal is to have the application run on XP, Vista and Windows 7 and to handle all installation issues in an MSI setup program (using the  D3D11InstallHelper.dll for instance)

Can you say whether these can be achieved, and, whether implementing the D3D11 installation is indeed required for it?

Thanks a lot

David Sackstein

May 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM
It should only require the same DirectX version WPF uses, which is D3D9 on XP and D3D9 with WDDM driver on Vista/7.  I believe there shouldn't be any extra prerequisites other than the stuff that makes your WPF app run :).

-Jer 
May 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Edited May 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Hi Jer,

Thats great news, so maybe thats not the cause of my problem - running on Vista.
(my app runs fine on my laptop running Win7)

Further investigation revealed that on the failing machine, Direct3DCreate9Ex returns a null IDirect3D9Ex value, whereas Direct3DCreate9 returns a valid IDirect3D9 object (specifying the same SDK version of 32).

When I use the IDirect3D9 object, the performance is indeed VERY bad so its not really usable.

Can you suggest why Direct3DCreate9Ex might be failing though Direct3DCreate9 succeeds, and how it might be possible to use Direct3DCreate9 on Vista with reasonable performance?

Thanks again!

David Sackstein

May 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM
Is it possible your Vista machine doesn't have a WDDM graphics driver?  It's required for Direct3DCreate9Ex.  There's really no way that I know to speed up a non-Ex device on Vista or 7. :(

-Jer

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM, davidsackstein <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Jer, Thats great news, so maybe thats not the cause of my problem - running on Vista. (my app runs fine on my laptop running Win7) Further investigation revealed that on the failing machine, Direct3DCreate9Ex returns a null IDirect3D9Ex value, whereas Direct3DCreate9 returns a valid IDirect3D9 object (specifying the same SDK version of 32). When I use the IDirect3D9 object, the performance is indeed VERY bad so its not really usable. Can you suggest why Direct3DCreate9Ex might be failing though Direct3DCreate9 succeeds, and how it might be possible to use Direct3DCreate9 on Vista with reasonable performance? Thanks again! David Sackstein

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (WPFMediaKit@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email WPFMediaKit@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Hi Jer,

Hmmm. Yes, you are right. Its not an old machine and the driver (GeForce4 MX) is not a WDDM driver.

Thats a relief. I'll just modify the code to handle the error and exit gracefully,

Other than that, I would like to add that you have opened up a whole world of opportunities with this technology.

Text overlay over customized video streaming is now trivial - with WPF. So it should be!

Moreover I have been building some samples using the WPF Shader Effect Library and got these working with my custom graph in no time at all.

Thanks

David

May 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM
That's great to hear!  Yeah, composing your UI should be trivial now.  So much better than old GDI or Winforms :).

Lemme know if you have any other issues!

-Jer